《当你老了》这首诗在中国可以说是非常有名了!
《When you are old》——《当你老了》
William Butler Yeats(威廉·巴特勒·叶芝)
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
当你老了,头发花白,睡意沉沉,
And nodding by the fire,take down this book,
倦坐在炉边,取下这本书来,
And slowly read,and dream of the soft look
慢慢读着,追梦当年的眼神
Your eyes had once,and of their shadows deep;
你那柔美的神采与深幽的晕影。
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
多少人爱过你昙花一现的身影,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
爱过你的美貌,以虚伪或真情,
But one man loved the pilgrim Soul in you
惟独一人曾爱你那朝圣者的心,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
爱你哀戚的脸上岁月的留痕。
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
在炉罩边低眉弯腰,
Murmur,a little sadly,how Love fled
忧戚沉思,喃喃而语,
And paced upon the mountains overhead
爱情是怎样逝去,又怎样步上群山,
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
怎样在繁星之间藏住了脸。
Funeral Blues《葬礼蓝调》
-- W. H. Auden
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
停止所有的时钟,切断电话,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
给狗一块浓汁的骨头,让他别叫,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
黯哑了钢琴,随着低沉的鼓,
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.
抬出灵柩,让哀悼者前来。
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
让直升机在头顶悲旋,
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead.
在天空狂草着信息他已逝去,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of public doves,
把黑纱系在信鸽的白颈,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.
让交通员戴上黑色的手套。
He was my North, my South, my East and West.
他曾经是我的东,我的西,我的南,我的北,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
我的工作天,我的休息日,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
我的正午,我的夜半,我的话语,我的歌吟,
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
我以为爱可以不朽,我错了。
The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
不再需要星星,把每一颗都摘掉,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
把月亮包起,拆除太阳,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
倾泻大海,扫除森林,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
因为什么也不会,再有意味。
《Had I not seen the Sun》—— Emily Dickinson
Had I not seen the Sun
I could have borne the shade
But Light a newer Wilderness
My Wilderness has made
— 《如果我不曾见过太阳》
假如我没有见过太阳
我也许会忍受黑暗
可如今,太阳把我的寂寞
照耀得更加荒凉
What can I hold you with?我要用什么来留住你?
- Jorge Luis Borges (1934)
博尔赫斯
I offer you lean streets, desperate sunsets, the moon of the jagged suburbs.
我给你瘦狭的街道,孤绝的落日,荒郊的冷月。
I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long at the lonely moon.
我给你整个人的悲苦,那个人曾久久凝望寂寞的月亮。
I offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghosts that living men have honoured in marble: my father's father killed in the frontier of Buenos Aires, two bullets through his lungs, bearded and dead, wrapped by his soldiers in the hide of a cow; my mother's grandfather -just twentyfour- heading a charge of three hundred men in Perú, now ghosts on vanished horses.
我给你我的祖先,死者的灵魂被生者铭刻在大理石上: 我父亲的父亲死于布宜诺斯艾利斯的前线,两颗子弹穿过他的胸口,他死时蓄着胡子,被同袍裹于兽皮之内; 我母亲的祖父——才二十四岁——曾在秘鲁率领三百军士,如今已成死马上的幽魂。
I offer you whatever insight my books may hold. whatever manliness or humour my life.
我给你我书中所有的一切,给你我命里所有的男子气和幽默。
I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.
我给你一个浪荡子的忠心。
I offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved somehow -the central heart that deals not in words, traffics not with dreams and is untouched by time, by joy, by adversities.
我给你我设法保存的生命核心——它难以言表,无法入梦,不被时间、欢愉和灾难所触动。
I offer you the memory of a yellow rose seen at sunset, years before you were born.
我给你一朵黄玫瑰的记忆,你未出生时,她曾在夕照中绽放。
I offer you explanations of yourself, theories about yourself, authentic and surprising news of yourself.
我给你关于你的阐释,关于你的理论,关于你的真实而让人惊叹的消息。
I can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the hunger of my heart; I am trying to bribe you with uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.
我给你我的孤独,我的暗夜,我内心的饥渴;我要用我的无常、危险和失败来留住你。
No Man Is An Island——John Donn
美国著名的小说家海明威在他的著作《丧钟为谁而鸣》一书中也引用了本诗作为开篇词。
No man is an island, entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent,
a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friend’s or of thine own were:
any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind, and therefore, never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.
没有谁是一座孤岛 ——约翰•多恩
没有谁是一座孤岛,
在大海里独踞;
每个人都像一块小小的泥土,
连接成整个陆地。
如果有一块泥土被海水冲刷,
欧洲就会失去一角,
这如同一座山岬,
也如同一座庄园,
无论是你的还是你朋友的。
无论谁死了,
都是我的一部分在死去,
因为我包含在人类这个概念里。
因此, 不要问丧钟为谁而鸣,
丧钟为你而鸣。
叶茨的《down by the salley garden》 Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet;
She passed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree;
But I being young and foolish, with her would not agree.
In a field by the river my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs;
But I was young and foolish, and now i m full of tears.
附上我觉得特别棒的翻译
Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet;
步至庭院,初见吾爱
She passed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet.
佳人缓行,纤足如雪
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree;
柔情渐浓,嫩叶染绿
But I, being young and foolish, with her did not agree.
恨吾愚稚,不解彼意
In a field by the river my love and I did stand,
粼粼河畔,卿卿爱侣
And on my leaning shoulder she placed her snow-white hand.
依肩玉指,洁白似雪
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs;
长路漫漫,浅草覆堰
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.
恨吾愚稚,泪盈于睫